Parenting with RA is something many people are spending more time on with the school closures from COVID-19. As a mom of five, I know how different things have been since my disease became full blown 14 years ago. If you’ve been reading RA Warrior the last 11 years (that’s right—it’s almost year 12!), you know I learned some of these things the hard way—but usually with a smile.
Parenting with a chronic disease like rheumatoid arthritis can be even more challenging. When simple tasks become more difficult, parents with RA / RD may worry that their kids are missing out because of things they believe they “should” do for them. However, looking deeper at the question, we see that being a good or even a great parent with RA / RD is certainly within reach. What we need to focus on is what really matters and how to accomplish that. I hope you or a parent you know with a chronic illness will enjoy this encouraging article I recently published on Healthgrades.
Tips for Parenting with Rheumatoid Arthritis
Some of the difficulties common with the disease can make living with rheumatoid arthritis (RA) and parenting especially challenging. From parents of toddlers who enjoy playing on the floor with their little ones to parents of teens who join camping trips, it’s usually tougher with RA. Extra patience with yourself plus a little thinking outside the box can help ease the stress of parenting with a chronic illness.
Here are a few RA parenting tips to get you started.
1. Focus on what really matters. It’s not whether you can play soccer (if you can’t any more), but that you share their interest—the joy of the game.
2. Accept a new normal. What really matters to a child? Is it a perfect parent who provides perfect home, meals and activities? Or is it a parent with whom you share a warm and caring relationship? According to researchers, accepting a new normal is part of the process of managing a chronic condition.
Click here to read the entire article on Healthgrades.
More Warrior Tips
- 7 Tips on Rheumatoid Arthritis Complications
- 7 Rheumatoid Arthritis Bathroom Complications
- 21 Tips to Prepare for a Biologic Infusion