I hate cute little tips for chronic illness
It bugs me when I’m frequently asked in interviews what quick tips I’d give to those who are newly diagnosed with an illness like RA. I feel like saying, “Sorry, there aren’t any tips that would make it easy to live with RA because RA is hard.” On the other hand there are some things it would help if we knew.
10 Commandments of chronic illness
- Thou shalt spend time with those who feel your pain.
- Thou shalt not apologize for resting or accept blame for being sick.
- Thou shalt begin to educate thyself about thy diagnosis.
- Thou shalt accept thy limitations.
- Thou shalt treat thy pain.
- Thou shalt read thy medical records.
- Thou shalt find a doctor who listens to you.
- Thou shalt not skip regular blood tests.
- Thou shalt ask for accommodations.
- Thou shalt not enter into contests about whose illness is worse.
There, 10 very important tips that aren’t very cute. They might be a bit too harsh for Woman’s Day, but they’re practical and authentic. And short.
Cute or not, I’ll bet you have a tip to add! Feel free to use the comment form below.
Note: If you or someone you know is recently diagnosed with RA, and needs more thorough information, there is the Newly Diagnosed with Rheumatoid Arthritis Mall Map with a lot more resources.
NOTE: IF YOU READ THESE 10 COMMANDMENTS OF CHRONIC ILLNESS ANYWHERE ELSE, THEY ARE STOLEN FROM THIS PAGE. MANY PAGES OF ORIGINAL CONTENT FROM THIS SITE HAVE BEEN COPIED AND USED BY OTHER SITES WITHOUT ATTRIBUTION, WHICH BREAKS U.S. FEDERAL LAW. TAKEDOWN NOTICES WILL BE ISSUED AND THEFT WILL BE REPORTED.
- 20 Tips for Managing Your Rheumatoid Arthritis Treatment
- Newly Diagnosed with Rheumatoid Arthritis Mall Map
- Rheumatoid Arthritis Diet, Part 2: Ten Easy Tips
- Where Is the RA Help Button?